Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Authors: How do You Get Invited to Book Clubs?

Last night, I attended a book club as the author-guest. I was a bit nervous at first--I mean, it's weird! All those people gathered to talk about your book--what if they hated it? Or disagreed with certain editorial decisions?

But the folks at the book club I attended in Atlanta were extraordinarily gracious. They had intelligent questions about my research and the history behind the story. Since this was an adult book club, I was gratified to learn they didn't see it as YA but as more of a classic story. Still, I'd love to reach teen readers too. Do libraries/schools have teen book clubs?

Because now I'm hooked.  I want to do all kinds of book club visits/discussions!

Then I remembered that one blogger recommended my book as a good pick for Mother-Daughter book clubs. After all, the essence of Cleopatra's Moon centers around separating from "mom" and carving out one's own identity.

But how to do that? How do you break into that secret cabal of book club heaven? Because now with Skype, you don't even have to be in the same town.

So, if you're an author, how have you done it?  If you're a book club member, how did you determine you wanted an author talk?

1 comment:

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Oooo, I hope you get some answers to your question! e