Tuesday, January 10, 2012

In the "You Can't Make This Stuff Up" Department...

In ancient Egypt, one of the tests for determining a woman's fertility was this:

An onion or garlic was placed in her "lady parts."* If, the next day, her breath smelled of either the onion or garlic, she was good to go. 

And...let the jokes begin:

"I've heard of garlic breath, but that's ridiculous!"

"Okay, I've got the onion rings--where's the beef?"

"Wait, why are you crying?"

Got one? Add it to the comments!

*I've learned that using anatomically correct terms means that my site gets blocked from some locations for inappropriate content (Really? It's history!), so I changed the terminology. Use your imagination!

4 comments:

Amalia T said...

I wonder if there is any science behind it -- or if it actually worked to make that determination. I mean, I suppose it indicates your body can absorb things through those membranes, but does that have anything to do with fertility?

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

Good questions, Amalia. Sadly, I was being too immature--chuckling and snickering--to even think that far. Which is par for the course...

Cathy C. Hall said...

I was being totally immature, too. Thus, I sent a tweet comment. :-)

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

Love your tweet, Cathy!